This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8111 / 52°48'39"N
Longitude: -4.5313 / 4°31'52"W
OS Eastings: 229487
OS Northings: 326728
OS Grid: SH294267
Mapcode National: GBR 55.VXCC
Mapcode Global: WH44V.CLGT
Entry Name: Chimney of former Llanengan Lead-mine
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19611
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated high on side of hill E of the village.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Large chimney to the Llanengan lead-mine, also known as the Porth Neigwl mine, built c1878. It is uncertain whether its purpose was ventilation of the mine or as a flue for a beam-engine or smelter sited at Tanrallt below. The mine at Llanengan was part of the group of lead-mines in the area, including those at Penrhyndu, Bwlchtocyn, Tanybwlch and Pantgwyn whose history goes back to the C17 and possibly much earlier. The mine at Llanengan was reopened in the 1870s with mine buildings at Tanrallt and closed with the others in 1892. Marked as Porth Neigwl mine (disused) on 1900 revision of 1885 O.S.
Tall circular chimney, rubble stone to above mid-height and then red brick banded in yellow brick with yellow brick projecting cornice. Fire opening on S side of base.
A fine mine chimney which is a prominent landmark and one of the few upstanding remains of the lead-mine.
Other nearby listed buildings