This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8242 / 52°49'26"N
Longitude: -4.5038 / 4°30'13"W
OS Eastings: 231395
OS Northings: 328118
OS Grid: SH313281
Mapcode National: GBR 56.V4FX
Mapcode Global: WH44V.S8JS
Entry Name: The Squash Court at Haulfryn
Listing Date: 1 April 1998
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 19639
Building Class: Recreational
Location: Situated at W end of the Haulfryn gardens some 50m NE of The Lodge.
Built-Up Area: Abersoch
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Squash court built for F C Minoprio of Haulfryn c1925, and part of the extensive grounds laid out from 1922 to 1932 to the designs of his son Anthony Minoprio (1900-88). The squash court is mentioned as existing in 1932, and is said to have been built by F C Minoprio's younger brother Arthur Minoprio about 1925.
Squash court, concrete walls sloping up to rear N wall, with wooden rustic superstructure, weatherboarded walls above line of concrete with row of louvred openings under eaves of shallow pitched roof. S front has very shallow centre gable. Attached to S front is a rustic viewing gallery with hipped felted roof (originally thatched) wany-edge boarding to front first floor and leaded centre pointed window under eaves gablet. First floor E end has overhanging oriel with canted sides and 1-3-1 leaded lights, and leaded roof. Ground floor is open on posts with rustic single flight of stairs within up to gallery. Stairs have rough fretwork balustrades.
Included as an unusual example of a private squash court, part of the earlier C20 group at Haulfryn.
Other nearby listed buildings