History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tyddyn Pwyth

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2159 / 53°12'57"N

Longitude: -4.2098 / 4°12'35"W

OS Eastings: 252542

OS Northings: 371041

OS Grid: SH525710

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.1HT9

Mapcode Global: WH546.9FKG

Entry Name: Tyddyn Pwyth

Listing Date: 20 April 1998

Last Amended: 20 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19671

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Locality: Aberbraint

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Originally a farm called 'Ty Hir', with longhouse plan, the original house at the right end with cowhouse to left. The building was converted into three terraced cottages mid C19 and formed part of the Plas Newydd Estate, one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. By 1780 the Bayly family owned a total of 100,000 acres (40,500 ha) in North Wales, Ireland, Devon and Cornwall, including much mineral wealth including the copper mine at Parys Mountain. The Plas Newydd estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son, in 1812. Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, but chiefly lived at Beaudesert in Staffordshire. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19. The estate is recorded as being 9,620 acres (3,896 ha) in size in 1873, including scattered lands and land around the mansion of Plas Newydd. A building is shown on the site on the Tithe Map of 1844, is listed as one entry in the census returns for the parish in 1851, and listed as 3 entries in subsequent returns.

Exterior

Built on the site of former agricultural building. Rubble walls with ground floor windows set at a higher level than original house (No.1), with segmental arched brick heads to openings on ground floor. Upper storey window to right is a 9-pane sash window, to right is a 9-pane bottom hung casement. Door has 6-panes to upper panel, and 3 panes to overlight.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as part of a well-preserved mid C19 terrace of Plas Newydd estate worker's cottages, derived from the development of an earlier farmhouse.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Tyddyn Pwyth
    Located on NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the walls of Plas Newydd, c750m SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Victoria Cottages
    Set at an angle to a junction along the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.1km SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Victoria Cottages
    Set at an angle to a junction along the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c.1km SW of the Llanfairpwll Toll House.
  • II Pen yr Allt
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 - Brynsiencyn Road, opposite the Grand Lodge to Plas Newydd.
  • II Grand Lodge of Plas Newydd
    Set back slightly on the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, behind the walls of Plas Newydd and at the entrance to the Grand Drive.
  • II Entrance Archways, at Grand Lodge, Plas Newydd
    The N entrance to Plas Newydd, 1.7km N of the house, leading off the S side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.
  • II Aberbraint Lodge
    Located on the NW side of the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, c. 0.5km from the Llanfair Toll House.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.