This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2179 / 53°13'4"N
Longitude: -4.1882 / 4°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 253992
OS Northings: 371219
OS Grid: SH539712
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.192N
Mapcode Global: WH546.MCTX
Entry Name: Lion on E side of the N entrance to Britannia Bridge
Listing Date: 20 April 1998
Last Amended: 20 April 1998
Source ID: 19673
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: The lion is mounted high above the original rail approach to the bridge.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll
Locality: Britannia Bridge
One of four, one pair located on the mainland and one on the Anglesey side, flanking each entrance to the bridge. Designed by the Victorian sculptor John Thomas, who designed carvings for the new Houses of Parliament (1835-52), and erected prior to the opening of the bridge in 1850. Each lion cost £1,024.
Large sculpture of a lion couchant, 25ft 6in (7.77m)long and 12ft 8in (3.86m)high; carved in a bold Egyptian style and built from 11 pieces of Penmon limestone. Facing S, the lion surmounts an ashlar limestone plinth which in turn surmounts a plinth of rock-faced sandstone.
Included as an important element in the design of the bridge, one of four, a pair with the lion on the W side of the N entrance and of group value with the bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings