This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9841 / 52°59'2"N
Longitude: -3.1843 / 3°11'3"W
OS Eastings: 320587
OS Northings: 343633
OS Grid: SJ205436
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.J105
Mapcode Global: WH784.18Y4
Entry Name: Pentrefelin (Afon Eglwyseg) Aquaduct
Listing Date: 22 April 1998
Last Amended: 22 April 1998
Source ID: 19683
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located in Pentrefelin, near the junction of the A542 with the B5013, NNW of Llangollen.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The 6 mile (3.73 km) long Llangollen canal had been proposed as feeder to the main Ellesmere Canal that was to link the Rivers Mersey and Dee with the River Severn. The Act was passed in 1793 and this section was constructed under the direction of Thomas Telford: work on the extension to Llantysilio was begun in 1804 and completed in 1808. The canal also provided transport to the slate quarries and limestone works. In 1846 it became part of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company but the following year was taken over by the LNWR. Transport on the canal diminished in later C19 with the arrival of the railways and then ceased by 2nd World War. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water.
Built-up embankment faced with rubble stonework, above a short semi-circular tunnel for the River Eglwyseg to pass through to join the River Dee immediately to the S. The tunnel is faced with flush regular ashlar voussoirs with a pronounced keystone rising to a horizontal string course. Above this the faced stonework rises some 2m to the level of the canal towpath, where another square string forms the base to the orthostatic parapet to the towpath. The faced embankment is curved on plan between slight end pilasters, and continues for a further 35m each side to die away into the embankment. The cut for the canal, and the N face of the aquaduct was rebuilt in c1990.
Included as an important canal structure on the Llangollen Branch of the Ellesmere Canal, and one of a group of such structures.
Other nearby listed buildings