History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cottage at Valle Crucis Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Llantysilio, Denbighshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.9888 / 52°59'19"N

Longitude: -3.1859 / 3°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 320492

OS Northings: 344149

OS Grid: SJ204441

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.HLMK

Mapcode Global: WH784.146L

Entry Name: Cottage at Valle Crucis Abbey

Listing Date: 22 April 1998

Last Amended: 22 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19694

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: The building is set between the abbey ruins and the river, south of the abbey fishponds.

County: Denbighshire

Town: Llangollen

Community: Llantysilio

Community: Llantysilio

Locality: Valle Crucis

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in


The building was probably originally erected as a 'banqueting house' probably of late C17 origin, altered in the C18, probably by the Wynnstay Estate as a lodge for visitors to the ruins, part of the romantic experience fashionable in society from c1760 to c1850. A date of 1773 appears over the lower door. It was later used as the custodian's accommodation, Miss Jane Lloyd being a well remembered figure, with an inventory of 1881 surviving. It is now a store. It appears, with 2 stacks, in a line engraving by Thomas Nicholson in 1824, and, poorly observed, in later prints.


Built of stone, and now rendered and whitewashed, with a slate roof, hipped at the N end and with a raised coping at the S. Upper floor and basement. A flight of 4 steps leads to the C18 6-panelled door with a flat canopy over. Later timber 2-light casement windows with top lights, leaded glazing, and stone sills, but a large canted bay window with 12-paned sashes at the N end overlooks the fishponds, formerly with views up the valley past Eliseg's Pillar. One off-centre brick stack and a larger external stack at the S end. A small iron window ventilates the storage area at the rear.


The main floor consists of 2 heated rooms, the smaller N room providing the painterly views. A recess in the back wall and a fireplace on the S gable wall with windows either side. The undercroft consists of a larger kitchen where food preparation took place in advance of the visiting party, and a smaller cobbled store room and niche in the wall.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a rare building type, of particular importance for its association with the romantic tourist movement which flourished from the later C17 and continuing into the early-mid C19. Of special importance as of group value with the Grade I Valle Crucis Abbey.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.