This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9845 / 52°59'4"N
Longitude: -3.1862 / 3°11'10"W
OS Eastings: 320463
OS Northings: 343671
OS Grid: SJ204436
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.J0JJ
Mapcode Global: WH784.171W
Entry Name: Pentrefelin House
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 22 April 1998
Source ID: 19699
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands above the canal and River Dee, at the junction of the Horseshoe Pass road with the B5103 Rhewl Road.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The rear part of the house is a 3-bay building of the early-mid C17, remodelled and extended by a taller front wing in c1850 for Edward Hughes Parry, a tanner. English Wesleyan services were held at the house until 1863. It became the house of the manager of the Llangollen Slab and Slate Works
Capt John Paull from 1855, and was the focal point of the business, which included the production of flagstones for structural purposes, for paving and tombstones. A fine wrought-iron 2-stage balcony on the front was removed in c1910.
Built of stone with a slate roof, the added front block rendered and painted. Two storeys, the added front drawing room forming a forward wing with lower clasping blocks either side containing stair and circulation. These have sixteen-pane sash windows, but the central wing has altered door openings which once gave onto to the former iron balcony at the front. Wide boxed eaves, the roofs hipped to the front, and painted gable and centre stacks. Door on the E side.
The earlier rear block has kitchen, dining room and sitting room in line with large axial stacks. The added drawing room has a heavily moulded cornice.
Included as a prominent Regency style house developed from an earlier house, and indicative of the prosperity associated with the industrial development of the area during the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings