This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9881 / 52°59'17"N
Longitude: -3.1677 / 3°10'3"W
OS Eastings: 321708
OS Northings: 344051
OS Grid: SJ217440
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.HYTW
Mapcode Global: WH784.95T3
Entry Name: Dinbren-isaf
Listing Date: 22 April 1998
Last Amended: 22 April 1998
Source ID: 19710
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The scattered community of Dinbren lies to the N of Llangollen, behind Dinas-bran. The farm lies along a farm road off the road to Eglwyseg. The house stands on a bank facing S, with the farm buildi
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The farm was an important farm of the area, in origin a C16 or C17 timber framed house at right angles to the present frontage. It belonged to the Rev Edward Roberts Estate in 1791. A major remodelling took place in 1820 (date in gable with initials RJ)
A former cruck-built farm building immediately to the SE has been replaced.
Built of rubble stonework with a slate roof. Two storeys, the right bay is the end of a 2-bay house at right angles, which was extended by a further 2 bays to the left beyond an entrance stair hall, probably in 1820, when a shallow pediment was erected, corbelled out on slate slabs, to emphasise the entry. A service outshut at a higher level runs along the back, and the left wing was extended by a further bay to include the present kitchen, raised to 2 storeys in the late C19. Boarded door with overlight beneath the pediment, flanked by C19 two and 3-light paned timber windows, retaining old crown glass, those on the ground floor with red half-brick segmental arches. Gabled porch towards the left, with similar windows to its left. Gable stacks, the earlier on the right gable of stone and raised in brick in the C19.
The earliest house is timber framed and said to have smoke blackened roof timbers (P Smith). The main reception room at the front has twin parallel chamfered cross beams, and a former framed partition to the rear room, evidenced by mortices in the ceiling bressumer. An oak framed and panelled cupboard in the recess to the right of the stack. Single tier of roof purlins. The kitchen in the N extension has a large gable end fireplace with a curved fire lintel spanning the flanking oven and boiler (removed). Straight flight early C19 stair in the hallway. A stack between the two added front bays has been removed, although the stair beside it, on the front wall, survives, as does a fireplace with a curved lintel in the W end bay gable end.
Included as a well detailed early C19 farmhouse of special interest as encasing an earlier vernacular building, which is particularly well preserved internally.
Other nearby listed buildings