This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0508 / 53°3'2"N
Longitude: -3.0832 / 3°4'59"W
OS Eastings: 327488
OS Northings: 350945
OS Grid: SJ274509
Mapcode National: GBR 72.CTSS
Mapcode Global: WH77S.ML00
Entry Name: Chimney near Meadow Engine House
Listing Date: 22 April 1998
Last Amended: 22 April 1998
Source ID: 19718
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated just NW of the Meadow Engine House in the Minera Lead Mines and Country Park some 1km S of the centre of Minera.
Community: Minera (Mwynglawdd)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Later C19 mine chimney possibly associated with the installation of mine ventilation c1885. The chimney and nearby mine engine house is built on part of Minera parish known as 'City Lands' which was beqeathed by Owen Jones (d1659), a butcher of Chester, to 'the poor of every Company of Merchants and Craftsmen in the City of Chester'. The area was let as agricultural land until mid-C18 when a trustee of the charity, Alderman Richardson, promoted lead prospecting. It was so successful that between 1761 and 1781 some £13,000 were paid to the charity in royalties. In 1845, the Minera Tithe Map shows the Corporation of Chester owning some 80 acres (32.4ha) in the parish. Commercial lead mining continued until early C20.
Tall tapering cylindrical chimney shaft, roughly two thirds of coursed squared stone with crowning moulded stone rim, the upper third of brick.
Included as a well-preserved example of a lead mine chimney now rare in mining areas. Group value with Meadow Engine House.
Other nearby listed buildings