History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1897 / 53°11'22"N

Longitude: -4.2228 / 4°13'22"W

OS Eastings: 251582

OS Northings: 368150

OS Grid: SH515681

Mapcode National: GBR 5L.30P5

Mapcode Global: WH54D.33D1

Entry Name: Church Lodge

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19749

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located at the right side of the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Estate

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Port Dinorwic

History

Built in 1914 on the site of a previous lodge, designed by the Plas Newydd Estate Office Architect, based in Llanfairpwll. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; and a further programme of improvements was carried out in early C20.

Exterior

Arts and Crafts style estate lodge; single storey with attic; square in plan with lean-to extension to right hand side. Built of stone, roughcast rendered; pyramidal green slate roof with projecting feathered eaves and yellow clay ridge tiles rising to central cruciform plan brick stacks with rendered caps. Entrance is set back in the left angle; facing wall with circular 9-pane light. Single 3-light, small-paned side hung casement windows to front and left sides, two to rear; flat-roofed dormers with similarly detailed windows and slate hung cheeks in each side of the roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an well detailed example of an Arts and Crafts style estate lodge; a balanced and composed design of strong forms retaining many original features.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church Lodge entrance walls and gatepiers
    Forming the western entrance to St. Edwen's Parish Church, along the Moel-y-don road, c.1.10km SSE o
  • II Church of St. Edwen
    In an isolated location c250m from the Menai Strait, reached by a roadway past the Church Lodge of P
  • II The Old Cutter
    Sited on the NW shore of the Menai Strait, facing Y Felinheli. Reached by a single track road leadi
  • II Barn at Plas Coch
    Located in an enclosed area c200m S of Plas Coch, on the edge of rolling parkland.
  • II Decorative walling in front of Plas Coch
    Length of decorative walling with steps, to the E of the main front of Plas Coch.
  • II* Plas Coch
    Standing in parkland 600m NW of the parish church of St. Edwen.
  • II Bridge at Plas Coch
    Located to the north of Plas Coch, within the grounds of the house. There is an ornamental pond to
  • II Plas Coch Lodge
    At the entrance to Plas Coch, c150m N of the house.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.