History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Lodge entrance walls and gate piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddaniel Fab, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1965 / 53°11'47"N

Longitude: -4.2304 / 4°13'49"W

OS Eastings: 251101

OS Northings: 368928

OS Grid: SH511689

Mapcode National: GBR 5K.2QTG

Mapcode Global: WH431.ZXPB

Entry Name: Farm Lodge entrance walls and gate piers

Listing Date: 23 April 1998

Last Amended: 23 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19755

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Forming the western entrance to Plas Newydd Home Farm and Plas Llanedwen, along the Moel-y-don road, c.200m SSE of the crossroads with the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Community: Llanddaniel Fab

Locality: Plas Newydd Home Farm

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Gaerwen

History

Probably built 1914, contemporary with the adjacent lodge, and designed by the Plas Newydd Estate Office Architect. The Plas Newydd Estate was one of the largest estates on Anglesey, passing to the Bagenal family in 1553 and through marriage to the Bayly family in the C18. In 1812 the estate passed to Henry William, Lord Uxbridge's eldest son; Henry was created 1st Marquess of Anglesey in 1815, and his descendants inherited both estate and title. A number of improvements to the buildings of the estate followed the completion of the main house at Plas Newydd in the early C19; and a further programme of improvements carried out in early C20.

Exterior

Square ashlar gate piers with slightly projecting plinth and cornice surmounted by globe finials. Flanking curved walls of rubble masonry with stressed course under a rendered capping; wall to right of entrance with smaller globe finial to far right, and ramping slope to end; continues as low rubble wall with railings above, terminating in a rubble plinth with cornice surmounted by a globe finial. Hole for bell-pull directly right of entrance with barred opening as viewing hole in curved wall to right.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a significant element of early C20 work for the Plas Newydd estate, and forming a coherent group with the adjacent contemporary lodge.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.