History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Broughton Hall Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0118 / 53°0'42"N

Longitude: -2.85 / 2°50'59"W

OS Eastings: 343070

OS Northings: 346389

OS Grid: SJ430463

Mapcode National: GBR 7C.GB73

Mapcode Global: WH897.6K4G

Entry Name: Broughton Hall Lodge

Listing Date: 7 May 1998

Last Amended: 7 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19770

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Broughton Hall Lodge is located on the south side of the B 5069, to east of Worthenbury. Set behind stone wall.

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Broughton

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bangor-is-y-coed

History

Built in 1858 as one of three gate lodges to Broughton Hall (demolished 1961). The Hall had early origins and was re-built by Robert Howard who modernised the estate from 1852 onwards. Previously owned by John Whitehall Dod. The estate was subsequently sold in 1884 and the house was demolished in 1959.

Exterior

Two-storey, red-brick gate lodge in Tudorbethan style under slate roof with dentilated eaves. Architect unknown. Elaborate diagonally set off-centre brick chimney stack of four clustered flues with moulded caps, as were a feature of Broughton Hall. Three window front with deeply projecting central bay forming two-storey porch in sub-medieval manner. The upper floor is carried on two Doric stone columns, the ground floor is open and the Tudor-arched door is flanked by small-paned lights. Small-paned wooden casement windows, mostly two-light. To the ground floor these are under pointed arches with bricks tumbled in to the apex. Small-paned wooden casement windows to the front elevation are both surmounted by timber-framed gables with barge boards. To the ground floor windows are three-light, to the first floor they are two-light. To the road a bay-window with casements and carved brackets. Above the gable end is a carved stone cartouche bearing the date "1858". The main, central, and end gables have barge-boards with carved wooden finials to their apex with open pendants. To the south a single storey projection with brick stack.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a very good example of a gate lodge in an accomplished Tudorbethan manner with picturesque massing and good detail, and for historic association with Broughton Hall.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.