History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor and Quinton

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0078 / 53°0'28"N

Longitude: -2.8675 / 2°52'2"W

OS Eastings: 341890

OS Northings: 345965

OS Grid: SJ418459

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.GKZG

Mapcode Global: WH896.XNQH

Entry Name: The Manor and Quinton

Listing Date: 7 May 1998

Last Amended: 3 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19776

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated off the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) shortly before Worthenbury Bridge with views towards Hollybush Lane to the south. It is reached by a short private drive and secluded in its ow

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Worthenbury

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Bangor-is-y-coed

History

An extensive remodelling and enlargement of 1899-1900 of an earlier Manor on the same site for Crawshaw Wellington Puleston, a branch of the Puleston's of Emral Hall. Architect unknown but possibly T M Lockwood & Son whose Dodleston Girls Home of 1900-01 for the Duke of Westminster bears close resemblance. The estate was inherited on the death of the Rev Sir T H Gresley Puleston in 1896 and sold after the re-modelling in 1909 by Crawshaw. Possession passed to a Captain Rainer, then Geoffrey Stevenson (a Liverpool merchant), Lord Kenyon in 1952 and the last owner before subdivision, a Mrs. Latham. Currently divided into two separate dwellings, The Manor and Quinton.

Exterior

Queen Anne Revival style. Two-storey plus attic, red brick manor house of four bays, under tiled and slated roof, to an asymmetrical plan and with distinctive ogee and semi-circular shaped gables. A variety of different sized, small-paned, casement windows of similar design; many 5-light and with timber lintels. Gables to attic storey surmounted with ball finials. Gables to The Manor of a slightly different, ogee, design to those of the extension forming Quinton which are semi-circular with inset circular windows. Tall brick chimney stacks set diagonally, one of which strikingly cuts asymmetrically through gable. Large single-storey entrance porch to east front with stone dressings, semi-circular C19 nailed door with strap hinges. Entrance to Quinton in two-storey connecting bay framed by carved wooden Tudor Gothic windows, and to the corner of each bay a thin pilaster at first floor level. Dentilated band to Quinton. Eastern end orientated to new garden lay-out of 1899-1900.

Interior

Dining Room of The Manor contains mitred wood panelling said to have come from Emral Hall but incorporating new fire-surround. Hall with large walk-in inglenook fireplace with inscription to lintel "Welcome ever smiles, but Farewell goes out sighing". Shallow Tudor arched fireplaces to ground floor of The Manor, profile repeated in decorative scheme throughout. Most original fireplaces remain throughout together with many fixtures and fittings. Character of Quinton more Adam Revival than the Tudor Gothic of The Manor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a turn of the century small country house with good internal decorative detail.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Worthenbury Bridge
    Located on the main road into Worthenbury from Bangor-is-y-coed.
  • II Shop Cottage
    Located in the centre of the village on the north side of the main road (B 5069) and attached to the former Post Office and Malt House.
  • II The Malt House including attached cottage to right
    Prominently located to the north side of the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) to the east of, and stepped forward from the adjoining Admiralty House.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located in its own grounds off Mulsford Lane, after its junction with the main road through Worthenbury, the B 5069. The Old Rectory is set behind cast-iron Gothic style railings to the top of a low
  • II Admiralty House
    Located on the north side of the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) shortly after its junction with Church Road and adjacent to The Malt House. Set back behind iron-railed narrow forecourt.
  • I Parish Church of St Deiniol
    Located to the west of the centre of the village, a short distance along Church Road, within a walled graveyard. Fine views of the church across open meadows on the approach to the village from the s
  • II Bowling Bank Farmhouse including attached farm range to west
    Located on the north side of Mulsford Lane which is a turning off the south of the B 5069 just after the centre of Worthenbury. The farmhouse entrance is through its cobbled farmyard.
  • II Frog Lane Cottage (West)
    Located on the south side of Frog Lane (B 5069) in its own garden and set back from the road behind a low brick wall with iron gate and stone piers.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.