History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kenyon Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Willington Worthenbury, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9915 / 52°59'29"N

Longitude: -2.8257 / 2°49'32"W

OS Eastings: 344673

OS Northings: 344115

OS Grid: SJ446441

Mapcode National: GBR 7D.HJ4B

Mapcode Global: WH89F.K2NG

Entry Name: Kenyon Cottages

Listing Date: 7 May 1998

Last Amended: 7 May 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19780

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on the south-west side of the main road through Tallarn Green, at the top of the village and adjacent to the village school.

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Community: Willington Worthenbury

Locality: Tallarn Green

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hanmer

History

Built at the expense of Henrietta Kenyon, daughter of the third Baron Kenyon of nearby Gredington, in 1892. Designed by John Douglas and Douglas Fordham, architects of Chester, as accommodation for widows with an integral labourer's cottage. Sold by the estate in 1954.

Exterior

A symmetrically laid out complex of three flats on an E-plan with single storey widows cottages to the east and west linked to a two-storey labourer's cottage in the centre, all designed in a vernacular revival manner. Timber-framed construction with whitened brick nogging, on brick plinth. Clay tiled roof and three red brick chimney stacks. Date "1892" carved into tie-beam on front elevation of western cottage. Entrance to widow's cottages to the side elevations. Wooden casement windows with small-panes, mostly of three-lights, throughout.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an interesting example of late C19 philanthropic building combining imaginative planning with traditional design.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Mary Magdelene
    Towards the middle of the linear village, on the SW side of the road.
  • II Lychgate to Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
    Lychgate to Church of Saint Mary Magdalene
  • II Tallarn Green Temperance Room
    Located off the main Tallarn Green road, and on the edge of fields farmed from Pear Tree Farm. Hidden behind modern house to road front.
  • II Bridge Cottages, Hurdle View
    Located next to the road on the south-eastern edge of Tallarn Green at Hurdle View, as the ground begins to rise from the Y-junction at the end of the main road through Tallarn Green.
  • II Oak Farm Farmhouse
    Located at right angles to the by-road shortly after the Y-junction with the main road to Tallarn Green.
  • II Sarn Bridge
    To north-west of Tallarn Green, spanning the Wych Brook, the border between Wales and England.
  • II Windmill 130yds East of Mill House
    Threapwood, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14
  • II The Fields
    Located midway between Tallarn Green and the A 525 on the east side of a by-road. The Fields is set back from the road and surrounded by open countryside.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.