This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9607 / 52°57'38"N
Longitude: -4.061 / 4°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 261662
OS Northings: 342360
OS Grid: SH616423
Mapcode National: GBR 5S.KJ0Q
Mapcode Global: WH55F.LVD3
Entry Name: Circular Enclosing Walls and Fountain at the N end at Plas Brondanw Gardens
Listing Date: 14 May 1998
Last Amended: 14 May 1998
Source ID: 19824
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: At the northern boundary of the Plas Brondanw gardens.
Locality: Plas Brondanw
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Garden feature, known as the Apollo Belvedere, built by Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, architect and owner of the Brondanw estate. The gardens were laid out to his designs in various stages between his inheritance of the estate in 1908 and his death in 1978. He created here one of Wales' most impressive gardens distinctive for its interlinked terraces, compartments and axial vistas that are aligned on the surrounding mountains of Moel Hebog, Moelwyn, Cnicht and Snowdon.
Slate-coped rubble walls enclosing a circular, grassed area, some 12m in diameter. The walls are built in 2 stages with an approximate overall height of 1.5m. At the S end these slope up on either side to a pair of square rubble gatepiers with reconstituted stone capping (re-used). At the N end, a segmental niche with lion's head wall fountain, of similar construction. Steps curve up on either side to a platform above the fountain; here a contemporary tiled flower trough surmounts the wall. A tall beech hedge surmounts the wall on the W side.
Adjoining the SW gatepier is a section of plain iron railings (approximately 4m wide) with central gate. This has intersecting lozenge decoration and pendant motifs; scrolled overthrow to centre, in 3 stages.
Listed as an integral feature of the nationally important gardens laid out at Plas Brondanw by Clough Williams-Ellis.
Other nearby listed buildings