This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2202 / 53°13'12"N
Longitude: -3.4964 / 3°29'47"W
OS Eastings: 300185
OS Northings: 370282
OS Grid: SJ001702
Mapcode National: GBR 6J.1367
Mapcode Global: WH65P.8B95
Entry Name: Primary Barn and adjoining Cart Bays to NE of Plas Buckley
Listing Date: 15 May 1998
Last Amended: 15 May 1998
Source ID: 19859
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located approximately 2km E of Llannefydd village, immediately SW of the unclassified road running NW from Henllan via Berain in the direction of the Moel-y-Gaer; accessed via a short track; the barn
Community: Llannefydd (Llanefydd)
Locality: Plas Buckley
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Two-and-a-half bay timber-framed barn partly with later rubble casing and with early C19 adjoining cart-bay addition. The barn section represents a fragment of what must clearly have been a large medieval building, of which 2 trusses and an end wall now survive; the first truss is a pair of unusually massive and tall cruck blades whose associated purlins show evidence of having formerly had windbraces; one of these survives. It is possible that this represents the surviving remains of a tall medieval open hall, with a (downhill) end bay beyond. Plas Buckley has been traditionally associated with Hugh de Beckele, who compiled the 'Extent of Denbigh' survey in 1334.
Tall barn with adjoining lower carthouse. The barn section is timber-framed on a tall rubble plinth, with rubble casing to much of the SE side and vertical weatherboarding to the L upper section; the NW side has open box framing. The roof is steeply-pitched, with corrugated iron sheeting, and was formerly thatched; the NE gable apex has visible (open) framing. Large entrance, stepped-up, to the SE side and similar opposing entrance to the NW.
The carthouse section is stepped-down and adjoins to the NE; rubble construction with slated roof and tiled ridge. It has 2 large, plain cart entrances to the SE side with exposed timber lintels. Above each is a 2-light window (wooden mullion) under the eaves with a dovecot of 10 nestboxes to the centre, in 2 tiers; external stone-stepped access to an upper entrance at the NE gable, with boarded door.
Two-and-a-half bay primary section, with a massive full cruck truss between the first 2 bays, sharply-elbowed; this has a plain, straight wind-brace to one of its lower purlins, with mortising evidence for others, on two tiers, now lost. The second truss is of collar and tie-beam type.
Listed for the special historic importance of its origins as a large Medieval cruck-framed building.
Other nearby listed buildings