This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2133 / 53°12'47"N
Longitude: -3.5098 / 3°30'35"W
OS Eastings: 299274
OS Northings: 369531
OS Grid: SH992695
Mapcode National: GBR 6H.1KXG
Mapcode Global: WH65P.1HYH
Entry Name: Bryn Deunydd Old Chapel
Listing Date: 15 May 1998
Last Amended: 15 May 1998
Source ID: 19865
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located approximately 1.5km SE of Llannefydd and 300m NW of Cefn Berain; on the SE side of the lane.
Community: Llannefydd (Llanefydd)
Locality: Bryn Deunydd
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Scotch Baptist chapel built in 1823 by John Jones of Pandy at a cost of £87.10s.9d (£87.54p). Originally it had a beaten earth floor and backless benches. It was ceiled over in 1852 and finally replaced by the current (adjacent) chapel in 1877.
Small rectangular chapel of roughcast rubble with slated roof and tiled ridge; kneelered and slab-coped gable parapets, with squat end chimney to the rear gable. The NE side has a boarded and studded door to the R, in a later C19 stopped-chamfered doorframe; to the L is a recessed, unhorned original sash window of 16 panes. The SW side has 2 further, similar windows, that to the R obscured by a C20 timber and corrugated iron lean-to opening onto a stone-walled yard.
Plain 2-bay interior with king-post truss.
Listed for its special socio-historic interest as a first-quarter C19 chapel of small and diminishing branch of the Baptist denomination, retaining good external character.
Other nearby listed buildings