This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2422 / 53°14'31"N
Longitude: -3.5113 / 3°30'40"W
OS Eastings: 299240
OS Northings: 372750
OS Grid: SH992727
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZXY.LG
Mapcode Global: WH65H.1R6V
Entry Name: Ddol
Listing Date: 2 June 1998
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 19932
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the N bank of the river Elwy at the SW boundary of the community; accessed via a long farm track running E from an unclassified road running N from the Pont y Ddol.
Town: St Asaph
Locality: Pont y Ddol
Traditional County: Denbighshire
An early settlement site, mentioned in the survey of Denbigh in 1334. Long the seat of the Jones family of Ddol, a re-set lintel above the present main entrance bears the carved date 1598 with the initials EI (for Jones) and AP; an Edward Jones of Ddol served as High Sheriff of Denbighshire in 1744. The present house is a late Georgian remodelling of a double-pile house, the southern pile of which is the earliest part.
Double-pile storeyed farmhouse of local limestone rubble construction with slated roof, including small slates to part of the rear (S) pile; plain end chimneys to both piles, with a further off-centre chimney to the rear pile, plain cornices. The slightly lower front (N) pile has an off-centre cambered entrance with boarded door and 3-pane overlight; above this is a recessed ex-situ limestone lintel bearing the date 1598 and the initials EI and AP. To the R is a C19 16-pane sash window with cambered head, with a modern single-storey log/bin addition adjoining at right-angles beyond. To the L of the entrance is a second, similar entrance with flanking sash windows, 16-pane to the L and 12-pane to the R; 3 16-pane, square-headed windows to the first floor. All windows have projecting stone cills, the cambered ones with rough-dressed voussoirs.
The 3-bay S front has a central entrance as before with flanking C19 tripartite windows; these have a central 12-pane section with narrow 4-pane outer sections and are cambered as before. 3x16-pane sashes to the first floor. The paired W gables are roughcast.
Late C19 pine stick-baluster stair to rear pile and slate-flagged floors throughout, otherwise plain interiors.
Listed for its special historic interest as a well-preserved earlier C19 farmhouse with earlier origins.
Other nearby listed buildings