This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2484 / 53°14'54"N
Longitude: -3.4961 / 3°29'46"W
OS Eastings: 300268
OS Northings: 373424
OS Grid: SJ002734
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z0W.W7
Mapcode Global: WH65H.8MF1
Entry Name: Groesffordd Marli Chapel
Listing Date: 2 June 1998
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 19941
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located some 2km NW of Cefn Meiriadog village, set back on the N side of an unclassified lane running parallel with, and S of the B 5381 (Glascoed Road).
Town: St Asaph
Locality: Groesffordd Marli
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Welsh Presbyterian Chapel, built in 1863; additions and interior cosmetic alterations were carried out c1905.
Simple rectangular gabled chapel of limestone rubble with finely-tooled limestone dressings. The front and left side (NW) have grey roughcast; slate roof with plain bargeboards. Symmetrical facade with tall paired, arched windows to the centre and arched flanking entrances. The windows have original 18-pane recessed and unhorned sashes with segmentally-glazed heads; limestone voussoirs and projecting stone cills. The entrances are similarly-arched and have deeply-recessed 6-panel double doors and simple 3-part fanlights. The sides each have 3x18-pane square-headed windows, as before, those to the NW replacements. At the rear is a single-storey early C20 extension of rubble with pitched slate roof; this has a boarded door and a 6-pane window to the L, with a plain brick external chimney. Flanking this are later C20 low WC extensions. Two original E end windows, as before.
Simple fixed, tiered pine pews and a Set Fawr with tripartite architectural back and segmental top. The ceiling is in 3 sections, with the central part segmentally-vaulted; this has moulded plaster-ribbed coffering. Flanking the Set Fawr are leaded inner lights to the windows, in Art Nouveau style.
Included for its socio-historic interest as a mid C19 rural chapel retaining good external and internal architectural character.
Other nearby listed buildings