History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lifeboat memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhoscolyn, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.25 / 53°14'59"N

Longitude: -4.5975 / 4°35'50"W

OS Eastings: 226800

OS Northings: 375700

OS Grid: SH268757

Mapcode National: GBR HN03.JTX

Mapcode Global: WH42P.BKZV

Entry Name: Lifeboat memorial

Listing Date: 3 June 1998

Last Amended: 3 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19946

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Set within the grounds of Rhoscolyn Churchyard, c10m SW of the Church of St. Gwenfaen.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Rhoscolyn

Community: Rhoscolyn

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Rhoscolyn

History

Built to commemorate the 5 lifeboatmen of the 'Ramon Cabrera', who died on December 3rd 1920 when the lifeboat went to the aid of the 115 ton steamer 'Timbo' of Whitby. The memorial was paid for by public subscriptions and unveiled at a ceremony on November 12th 1922, by Commodore Sir Richard Williams Bulkeley Bt. KCB, Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey.

Exterior

A tall memorial of polished granite. Stepped profile surmounted by a Celtic cross; the arms bear recessed panels with Celtic knots and the centre a circular recess with a quatrefoil. Brass plaques on the front; central with a low relief representation of the lifeboat on a stormy sea, upper panel bearing the names of the lifeboatmen who died and the lower panel reading: 'Erected by public subscriptions in memory of the above crew of the Rhoscolyn lifeboat who lost their lives in a gallant attempt to save the crew of the SS Timbo in Caernarfon Bay 3rd December 1920'. The central part is flanked by tall square columns with brass plaques at the top bearing low reliefs of 2 mythical sea creatures addorsed. The memorial stands on a stepped rectangular plinth.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a commemorative memorial, an unusual design including elements of Celtic Revival work and fine brass-work, and of local historic and social significance. Forms a group with the adjacent church of St. Gwenfaen.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St. Gwenfaen
    Stands in a prominent location above the road in the small hamlet of Rhoscolyn in the SW part of the parish.
  • II Plas Bach
    Set within private grounds, at the side of a single track lane, directly opposite Plas and c120m SSW of the Church of St. Gwenfaen in Rhoscolyn.
  • II Plas
    Set within private grounds, at the side of a single track lane, c150m S of the Church of St. Gwenfaen in Rhoscolyn.
  • II Rhoscolyn Methodist Chapel, railings and gates
    Set back slightly from the road, c 0.75km NNE of the Church of St. Gwenfaen in Rhoscolyn.
  • II Rhoscolyn Methodist Chapel house
    Located on the corner of the road, and adjacent to the Methodist Chapel in Rhoscolyn, c0.75km NNE of the Church of St. Gwenfaen in Rhoscolyn.
  • II Ffynnon Gwenfai
    In an isolated location on the coast overlooking Porth Gwalch, c 0.9km WSW of the Church of St. Gwenfaen in Rhoscolyn.
  • II Rhoscolyn Lifeboat Station
    Set on the coastline above the E side of Rhoscolyn Bay.
  • II Rhoscolyn Lookout Station
    Located at the end of Rhoscolyn headland, c1.1km SSE of the Church of St. Gwenfaen at Rhoscolyn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.