This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9737 / 52°58'25"N
Longitude: -3.0871 / 3°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 327096
OS Northings: 342373
OS Grid: SJ270423
Mapcode National: GBR 72.JLM8
Mapcode Global: WH785.KJ53
Entry Name: Bryn Seion Presbyterian Chapel
Listing Date: 11 June 1998
Last Amended: 11 June 1998
Source ID: 19968
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of village and in prominent position parallel to road and facing downhill.
Community: Llangollen Rural (Llangollen Wledig)
Community: Llangollen Rural
Built-Up Area: Trevor
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early-C20 nonconformist chapel, built in 1902/3 for the Calvinistic Methodist movement (later Presbyterian Church of Wales). It replaced earlier Pontcysyllte Chapel built in 1824. Now used (since 1994) as an Antiques shop.
Single storey classically-derived design in local red brick with main decorative features, eg pilasters, cornice and surrounds, in terra-cotta. 3-bay front with pedimented gable; bays divided by plain pilasters and pediment broken by key-blocked arch springing from inner pilasters. Tall round-headed window to each outer bay; round-headed doorway with small triple round-headed windows above to central bay. Paired 3-panel doors with semi-circular fanlight. Spandrel panel to pediment arch made up of floriated terra-cotta tiles, with a stone name-plaque in centre. Terra-cotta ball finials to pediment and string-course. 3-bay return elevations with tall round-headed sash windows to generally simpler design. Single storey schoolroom, also in red brick, attached to rear of chapel.
Generally unaltered save for removal of pews. Entrance lobby, with decorative ceramic tile dado, recessed into body of chapel. Flat floor. Plastered walls with inscribed 'ashlar-work' and pine dado; stone arch behind pulpit. 3-bay plaster ceiling with decorative ceiling roses surrounding wood ventilators; ceiling bays separated by pine boarding. Carved wood pulpit and deacons' 'great seat'. Plain school room at rear wih timber roof trusses; staging has been removed.
Listed as well-preserved example of late but typical Nonconformist chapel design which has strong regional character due to its use of locally-produced red brick and terra-cotta.
Other nearby listed buildings