History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's Well

A Grade II Listed Building in Nefyn, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9359 / 52°56'9"N

Longitude: -4.5201 / 4°31'12"W

OS Eastings: 230728

OS Northings: 340584

OS Grid: SH307405

Mapcode National: GBR 56.M0FL

Mapcode Global: WH448.JGRM

Entry Name: St Mary's Well

Listing Date: 18 June 1998

Last Amended: 18 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19972

Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage

Location: Situated prominently near the centre of Nefyn, some 35m N of the junction of the A497 and the B4417.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Pwllheli

Community: Nefyn

Community: Nefyn

Built-Up Area: Nefyn

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Morfa Nefyn

History

Ornate stone superstructure to the ancient town well, built in 1868 by the Corporation of Nefyn, Robert Thomas and John Jones, bailiffs, according to the inscription, which also records Lord Newborough as mayor and presumably promoter of this unusual building. The well is not listed as a Holy Well in Francis Jones' book 'The Holy Wells of Wales'.

Exterior

Well superstructure. Squared rubble stone, square plan building with stone pyramidal roof and bronze or copper finial. Sides have blank recessed arch each side with raised rusticated surrounds and raised angle quoins. Plain projecting course above under pyramid roof, which has tooled stone blocks for the angle ridges and a square apex piece under finial. Each face has a stone steep gablet with slate plaque inscribed:
To SW - To NE -
1868 1868
St Mary's Ffynnon
Well Fair
Rebuilt by the Ailadeiladwyd
Corporation of Gan
Nefyn Gorfforaeth Nefyn

Robert Thomas } Robert Thomas}
John Jones } Bailiffs John Jones } Bailiffs

To SE (road front) -
The Right Honourable
Lord Newborough Mayor
Hugh Hughes Deputy Mayor
John Wilson Recorder

Blank plaque and small boarded door to rear. Iron railings and gate on NE, around 4 steps down to sunken area.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a prominent and architecturally elaborate well-house, unusual in the region.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Nefyn Watch Tower
    Situated on a mound near the centre of Nefyn, some 60m W of the junction of the A497 and the B4417 a
  • II Church of St Mary
    Situated on the S side of Stryd-y-Mynach, some 180m NE of the junction of the A497 and the B4417 in
  • II Hendafarn
    Situated facing E to the rear of the beach at Porth Nefyn some 350m S of the point at Penrhyn Nefyn.
  • II Cae'r Pwll
    Situated on the eastern edge of Morfa Nefyn, facing Lon Groes and set back behind front garden with
  • II Milestone
    Situated on the S side of the B4417, just E of its junction with Lon Bodlondeb and some 300m E of th

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.