This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8218 / 52°49'18"N
Longitude: -4.7283 / 4°43'42"W
OS Eastings: 216256
OS Northings: 328402
OS Grid: SH162284
Mapcode National: GBR GPP7.JX6
Mapcode Global: WH33M.BBNM
Entry Name: Carmel Chapel
Listing Date: 19 November 1997
Last Amended: 26 June 1998
Source ID: 20009
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 600m SSW of Carreg at T-junction with road from Aberdaron.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Baptist Chapel said to date from c1810 or 1818 but not marked on 1844 Tithe Map. Exceptionally small with original interior fittings. Chapel and Plas, the chapel house (q.v.), are a single range, the two parts of roughly equal size.
Chapel, colourwashed render and grouted slate roof. Single storey with roughly central ledged door and 4-pane horned sash to right. Unpainted rendered W wall with one hornless 16-pane sash. One centre rear 12-pane sash window. To left is attached the chapel house, Plas (q.v.).
Remarkable survival of an early chapel interior, roughly 5.5m square with limewashed plastered walls and timber rail at roughly height of front and rear windows, raked up to follow line of E pews. Centre passage between pews on E and pews and pulpit W. Pews have painted panelled fronts and doors, the panelling raised on backs. Two rows of raked pews on E wall, in two blocks each with centre entry. Small block of 3 pews in NW corner, with doors, facing S to great seat enclosure. This is square with row of balusters to top rail over panelling along front, door at end of N side and bench seats on all 3 sides. Pulpit to left of window is panelled, 5-sided, with cornice and book rest. Steps up from N. Bench along S wall of chapel. Two oil lamps on turned standards and two hanging oil lambs from centre painted wishbone truss. Boarded ceiling, c1915.
Graded II* as a simple chapel with a rare surviving early C19 chapel interior.
Other nearby listed buildings