This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8182 / 52°49'5"N
Longitude: -4.6351 / 4°38'6"W
OS Eastings: 222521
OS Northings: 327769
OS Grid: SH225277
Mapcode National: GBR 51.VGJ1
Mapcode Global: WH33N.RFZC
Entry Name: Bwlch-y-garreg
Listing Date: 26 June 1998
Last Amended: 26 June 1998
Source ID: 20028
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on N side of road to Aberdaron some 60m W of Rhiw crossroads.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Croglofft cottage, dated 1818 on fireplace beam. Due to being unoccupied for many years, it is one of the least altered of the type in the area. The pigsty and goose-shelter complete a small cottage group of unusual interest. Marked on 1842 Tithe Map as Bwlch-y-Rhiw, owned by the Plas-yn-Rhiw estate occupied by Griffith Jones with 2 acres (0.8ha), but census returns give Humphrey Rowland, agricultural labourer, as occupant in 1841 and Isaac Roberts, farmer, in 1861. Later occupied by the Rowlands family.
Cottage, rubble stone, once whitewashed, with corrugated iron roof replacing small slates (in 1985 photo) and with big right hand square end stack, stone with dripstones and pyramidal capping. Single storey, double-fronted with 2-pane casement each side of door, the left casement larger and the whole facade offset to left. Very large boulder footings. Rear small window to scullery. To right is C19 added byre, rubble stone and corrugated iron roof, small window left, door right. The roof is lower than house roof. One bay addition on right end with cobble floor.
Little altered but decayed. Kitchen to right open to roof has big fireplace with beam dated 1818, inserted oven and grate. Cupboard left of fireplace. Partition to left of entry of wide boards with two doors, one gave access to bedroom with box bed, now gone and other to a narrow scullery, the partition between bedroom and scullery gone. Croglofft over left part entered by ladder, the supporting cross beam broken.
Included as one of the least altered croglofft cottages of the area, retaining vernacular character including scarcely-altered interior, and forming part of a cottage holding of unusual completeness.
Other nearby listed buildings