This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8208 / 52°49'14"N
Longitude: -4.6326 / 4°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 222703
OS Northings: 328052
OS Grid: SH227280
Mapcode National: GBR 51.V945
Mapcode Global: WH33N.TC6C
Entry Name: Pwllmelyn
Listing Date: 6 April 1998
Last Amended: 26 June 1998
Source ID: 20032
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at upper end of Rhiw village, on E side of T-junction with upper road from Rhiw church.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Single storey croglofft cottage with attached small outbuilding; possibly C18 though perhaps rebuilt in earlier C19. One of the early sites in Rhiw, first mentioned in 1766, on Plas-yn-Rhiw land. The site indicates a pattern of settlement around the outer edges of the Plas-yn-Rhiw estate. Marked on 1842 Tithe Map as occupied by Samuel Jones, with 2 acres (0.8ha).
Cottage, pebbledashed with grouted slate roof and stone stacks, the smaller to right end, the larger to left on ridge between house and byre which is of whitewashed rubble stone. Single-storey, double-fronted with 4-pane sash each side of ledged door. Byre to left has stable-door at extreme right, and pigsty attached to rear left corner, whitewashed with grouted slates and one door.
At right end of house are attached added outbuildings with corrugated iron roofs.
Included as a single storey cottage little altered, with byre and pigsty in line, forming a good example of a small cottage holding, a type characteristic of the region.
Other nearby listed buildings