This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7644 / 52°45'51"N
Longitude: -4.7876 / 4°47'15"W
OS Eastings: 212020
OS Northings: 322180
OS Grid: SH120221
Mapcode National: GBR GPKD.7R4
Mapcode Global: WH33S.FSF2
Entry Name: Newborough Cross
Listing Date: 26 June 1998
Last Amended: 26 June 1998
Source ID: 20052
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in separately walled enclosure just N of the Abbey graveyard.
Locality: Yr Enlli / Bardsey Island
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Very large memorial cross to the 3rd Baron Newborough erected by the Hon F G Wynn in 1891. It was made by Messrs Hugh Jones & Co, Seiont Marble Works, Caernarfon, of Anglesey marble from the Moelfra Quarries, owned by J R Roberts, Pentraeth. It is 8.53m high and weighs over 30.4 tonnes.
Memorial cross, massive tooled blocks of grey stone, the cross itself a single monolith with sheer tapering shaft and wheel-cross head with incised decoration of 3 sunflower roundels in arms and vesica with monogramme in centre. Plain square base on massive monolith square pedestal with inscription and plinth of 2 massive slabs, all unornamented. Inscription to Sir Spencer Bulkely Wynn, 5th Baronet, 3rd Baron Newborough of Glynllifon and Bodfean 1803-1888, buried here 1889. Rear inscription records that cross was erected in 1891 by F G Wynn.
Included as an impressive memorial in the revived Celtic style, one of a series of memorial crosses in the Abbey graveyard.
Other nearby listed buildings