This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7641 / 52°45'50"N
Longitude: -4.7868 / 4°47'12"W
OS Eastings: 212069
OS Northings: 322143
OS Grid: SH120221
Mapcode National: GBR GPKD.83J
Mapcode Global: WH33S.FSSB
Entry Name: The Chapel
Listing Date: 26 June 1998
Last Amended: 26 June 1998
Source ID: 20054
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on hillside to E of the Abbey ruin, and with Ty Capel to N.
Locality: Yr Enlli / Bardsey Island
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Former Wesleyan Methodist chapel of 1875 built by the 3rd Baron Newborough. Unaltered externally from John Thomas photograph of 1886.
Chapel, squared grey rubble stone with sandstone quoins, yellow-brick dressings, steep slate roof, coped shouldered gables, stone cross finials and crested ridge tiles. Gothic revival style, simple 3-window side walls with tall 2-light windows framed in yellow brick. Yellow brick chamfered plinth. Rendered N end wall. S end gable has yellow-brick louvred opening, behind elaborate porch-cum-bellcote, the porch echoing on smaller scale the line of the gable behind but with yellow-brick pointed arch to front and small similar lancets to side walls. On top is overscaled bellcote, mostly yellow brick, on stone corbels to front, with arched bell-opening and exaggeratedly steep slate-coped gable above. Ledged doors and ornate hinges.
Ledged pointed inner doors. 3-bay roof, rendered walls lined as ashlar, pitch pine pews, quarry-tile floor. Pine benches flanking N end pulpit. The pulpit is a an extraordinary creation dated 1875 apparently made up of salvaged pieces of carving. 5 canted sides with moulded cornice and large pointed, shouldered panels, the framework studded with metal flowers. The front panel has what appears to be a Baroque picture frame attached, thickly carved with arched head and addossed cherubs above leaning on trophies. C19 carved leafs above. Picture-panel replaced in wood with 1875 date in raised wood numerals. Other sides have what seems to be re-used C17 panelling, with C19 leaf carving affixed above. Hanging iron candelabrum. S end plaque 'This chapel was built by Lord Newborough for the inhabitants of Bardsey Island in the year 1875'. Floral wreath below.
In chapel are 2 incised stones. One has lower part of a cross, with ring-knot, interlace, the lower half of a carved figure above, and left side inscription '-esilli mar: queno' undeciphered, probably C10 or early C11. The other is inscribed with a cross, C7 to C9, and was found built into the Hendy barn.
Included as important part of the group around the Abbey ruins, and for historical interest, as part of the Newborough estate's development of the island in the later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings