History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley Tollhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Trearddur, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2925 / 53°17'33"N

Longitude: -4.5888 / 4°35'19"W

OS Eastings: 227551

OS Northings: 380409

OS Grid: SH275804

Mapcode National: GBR HN10.2SB

Mapcode Global: WH42H.HH3R

Entry Name: Stanley Tollhouse

Listing Date: 1 August 1952

Last Amended: 30 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20069

Building Class: Transport

Location: Set back from the N side of the A5(T), directly over the northern end of the Stanley Embankment and within Penrhos Coastal Park.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Trearddur

Locality: Penrhos Coastal Park

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Valley

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. Work started on Anglesey in 1818 and 5 tollhouses, designed by Telford, were built across the island. In 1844 a law was passed abolishing tolls from Holyhead to Shrewsbury but an exemption was made of the tollhouses of Anglesey where charges were actually increased and proved adequate for the maintenance of the roads for several years. In 1895 the exemption ended and on 28th November the tollhouses were sold. Stanley tollhouse stands in the grounds of the Penrhos estate, the principal seat on Holy Island and home of the Stanley family; the estate was bought by Anglesey Aluminium in 1969 and made into a country park in 1972. In 1974 the tollhouse was moved stone by stone from the edge of the A5 to its present location; it now houses a cafeteria.

Exterior

Octagonal 2-storey toll house forming a symmetrical composition with single storey wings to N and W. Stone walls roughcast and whitewashed, slate roof with projecting eaves. Central stack to octagon with gable stacks to each wing. Slate roofed verandah supported on 7 cast iron posts. Windows are slightly recessed 3-light casements; each face of the upper storey has window-sized recesses, the SE face above the door, with a 2-light casement, the others blank.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an example of one of Telford's toll houses, an elegant design, retaining much of the original architectural interest, notwithstanding its removal from its original site and consequent loss of its original historic context.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.