History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Trearddur, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2917 / 53°17'30"N

Longitude: -4.5879 / 4°35'16"W

OS Eastings: 227604

OS Northings: 380321

OS Grid: SH276803

Mapcode National: GBR HN10.361

Mapcode Global: WH42H.HJHB

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 30 June 1998

Last Amended: 30 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20073

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located at the NE side of the A5 directly over the N end of the Stanley Embankment.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)

Community: Trearddur

Locality: Penrhos Coastal Park

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Valley

History

Following the Act of Union in 1801 a programme to improve the roads between the two capital cities of London and Dublin was initiated. In 1811 Thomas Telford was commissioned to undertake a survey of the roads between London and Holyhead and in 1817 began work on the northern stretch of the road at Shrewsbury. As well as overseeing the work, Thomas Telford also designed every detail of the road, and this milestone is one of a number designed for it c.1817-32.

Exterior

Dressed granite slab, set into wall, with shallow triangular head and raking chamfered sides. Cast iron inset plate with lettering reading: HOLY- / HEAD / 3 / MONA / 10 / BANGOR / 22.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of one of Telford's milestones retaining its cast iron plate.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stanley Tollhouse
    Set back from the N side of the A5(T), directly over the northern end of the Stanley Embankment and within Penrhos Coastal Park.
  • II Stanley Embankment
    Spanning the strait between the main island, N of Valley, and Holyhead Island.
  • II Stanley Embankment
    Spanning the strait between the main island, N of Valley, and Holyhead Island.
  • II The Betting Stand (aka Rotten Tower)
    Situated towards the southern end of the park at the edge of woodland and overlooking the broad expanse known as Penrhyn Quillet. Penrhos Coastal Park lies at the SE end of Holy Island.
  • II Watertower
    Located at the heart of the Penrhos Coastal Park at the SE end of Holy Island; reached by private driveway N of the A5(T) and c1.25km NNE of the N end of the Stanley Embankment. The Watertower is at
  • II Candle Tower and walls adjoining remains of Penrhos House
    Located at the heart of the Penrhos Coastal Park at the SE end of Holy Island; reached by private driveway N of the A5(T) and c1.25km NNE of the N end of the Stanley Embankment. The Candle Tower and
  • II Tower, walls and courtyard buildings
    Located at the heart of the Penrhos Coastal Park at the SE end of Holy Island; reached by private driveway N of the A5(T) and c1.25km NNE of the N end of the Stanley Embankment. The tower is adjacent
  • II Barn and cartsheds, Penrhos Home Farm
    Located at the heart of the Penrhos Coastal Park at the SE end of Holy Island; reached by private driveway N of the A5(T) and c1.25km NNE of the N end of the Stanley Embankment; this range at E side o

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.