This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9217 / 52°55'18"N
Longitude: -4.494 / 4°29'38"W
OS Eastings: 232430
OS Northings: 338949
OS Grid: SH324389
Mapcode National: GBR 57.MSYJ
Mapcode Global: WH448.YT5H
Entry Name: Glanrafon
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 20120
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the S side of the B4354 road some 1.2 km E of junction with A497.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Later C18 to early C19 estate farmhouse on the Newborough Estate at Boduan. Marked on the 2" OS map of 1816-19. Evan Roberts was occupant in 1775, Robert Roberts in 1840, according to parish records and Tithe map.
Medium sized farmhouse in granite rubble stone with small-slate close-eaved roof and stone end chimneys. Two-storey, three-window front of 16-pane hornless sashes and centre door with overlight renewed in original opening. Stone slab lintels. Service wing in line to left with stone left end stack and one ground floor centre window. C20 glazing. Rear N wall has three window range with shallow recessed windows. First floor has two 12 pane hornless sashes, with a central larger stair window, of same type, set lower. Ground floor has a 12-pane hornless sash on the left and a smaller 9-pane hornless sash on the right. N wall of service range has a stable-door on the ground floor left, with a C20 4-pane casement to right, and a C20 9-pane casement over.
Service range has an inglenook on the W end wall, with a large oak bressumer and a large domed oven. Substantial oak cross-beam with squared oak ceiling joists. N wall has window-seat recess.
Included as a good example of a later Georgian farmhouse, with locally typical layout, and retaining vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings