This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9153 / 52°54'55"N
Longitude: -4.4657 / 4°27'56"W
OS Eastings: 234309
OS Northings: 338170
OS Grid: SH343381
Mapcode National: GBR 58.N7PW
Mapcode Global: WH449.CZQF
Entry Name: Gwnhinger
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 20127
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 1.3 km N of the A497, down lane from Bodvel Hall, some 1.7 km ESE of Boduan Church.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Earlier C19 Vaynol Estate farmhouse. A house marked on site on 2" OS Drawings of 1816-19. Recorded on tithe returns of 1840 as owned by Thomas Assheton Smith of Vaynol, owner also of the Bodvel Hall Estate, and occupied by Griff Jones.
Farmhouse, granite rubble stone with stone slab lintels, slate deep-eaved roofs and stone stacks. Substantial 2-storey, 3-window front with end-chimneys, 16-pane hornless sashes and half-glazed door with overlight. Slate-hung left-end wall. Service wing in line to right has lower roof, centre ridge chimney, ground-floor 8-12-8-pane horned sash to left of centre, a French window to far right and first-floor 12-pane horned sashes to far right and centre-left, and 4-pane sash to left. Rear of main house has 12-pane hornless sashes, two each floor and one as centre stair-light at mid-height. Service range has rear door to right, with passage to main house, and attached rear wing with lower roof line and centre ridge stack. Roof is partly outshut on rear NE side, and carried further over glazed C20 door. One C20 window to right. SW side has 9-pane loft light left of centre, ground floor C20 casements.
Included as a well proportioned estate farmhouse in the late Georgian style, with locally typical layout and retaining original character.
Other nearby listed buildings