This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8988 / 52°53'55"N
Longitude: -4.5367 / 4°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 229472
OS Northings: 336499
OS Grid: SH294364
Mapcode National: GBR 55.PGFB
Mapcode Global: WH44G.8DXK
Entry Name: Efail Gledrydd Forge
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 20131
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated uphill of Efail Gledrydd, about 1 km E of Madryn Castle Gatehouse.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
C18 or early C19 blacksmith's shop, worked until closure in 1952 by Thomas Jones, and previously by his father Richard Jones, and grandfather Thomas Jones. Said to have served as place where sermons were preached prior to the building of nearby Capel Graigwen in 1906. Marked on OS Drawings of 1816-19.
Blacksmith's forge. Granite rubble stone with brick, corrugated iron roofs and diagonally-set short brick end stacks to main part. Single-storey small building with lower addition to left, and outshut to rear. SW front has large double-doors, ledged and braced, with iron strap and pintle hinges. Right door is stable type with hinged section. Brick pillar each side of door, narrow window to left, 2-light casement over shutter. Window to right has 8-pane light over shutter. Small stone outshut to right. Left end addition is lower with large window blocked with corrugated sheet to right. Rear outshut has left end large stable-door with 4-pane casement to left, and rear wall centre window with five slim upper lights and shutter below.
Three bay roof, with two adzed oak collar trusses, pegged half-lap joints, and blades crossed at ridge. Three cross-beams of non-dressed timber. Right side has stone built forge and chimney with bressumer over. Large manual barrel bellows on left side of forge with wall recess and anvil alongside. Stone plinth under window to right forming workbench. Large adzed beams over window and small outshut beyond. Left end small fireplace and raised stone hearth. Belt-operated drill on left. Opening to right to NW addition and former stationary engine-room with line shaft to forge. Wall light recess on right of hearth. Rear wall has wide opening to shoeing room in outshut. Window on left of opening with 6-panes and wooden shutters under.
Grade II as scarce intact example of a traditional blacksmiths shop, complete with fixed tools and equipment. Group value also with former blacksmith's cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings