This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8858 / 52°53'8"N
Longitude: -4.4889 / 4°29'20"W
OS Eastings: 232634
OS Northings: 334935
OS Grid: SH326349
Mapcode National: GBR 57.Q81C
Mapcode Global: WH44H.0QQK
Entry Name: Capel Rhydyclafdy
Listing Date: 15 July 1998
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 20136
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated next to B4415 road on the W side of the village of Rhydyclafdy.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Calvinist Methodist Chapel built 1881. Place of last sermon given by Tom Nevin Williams eminent local preacher. Mounting-stone in yard on which Howel Harris is said to have given his first sermon on Llyn, 2 February 1742.
Rectangular gable facade chapel. Painted stucco with slate close-eaved roof. Ornate painted E facade with two tall doors and two long pairs of narrow arched windows in centre, but all much elaborated in stucco panels, bands and motifs. Angle quoins, flat band across at sill level, interrupted for doors, and with square bosses at feet of window jambs and mullions. Moulded band across at springing of window arches stepped forward as mullion caps and impost blocks of windows. Windows have moulded paired arched heads gathered under a larger similar stucco arch with keystone. Jambs and mullions of windows have a raised double-moulding inset from leading edges. Doors have steep pediments on consoles. Three plaster panels make an interrupted broad band at window arch level, and above is a long lettered plaque 'Rhydyclafdy'. In gable apex is date plaque 'A.D. 1881' in a moulded quatrefoil surround, while gable apex is also vertically-barred. Windows have marginal glazing bars. Doors are double three-panel, with marginal bars to overlights. Iron scrolled apex finial.
N wall is stuccoed with 4 tall arched sash windows, with small-paned glazing. Moulded string is carried around from front and arched over the windows. Rear has two similar windows. S wall has further two similar windows, the rest obscured by chapel house.
Spacious interior without galleries. Centre pulpit on entrance wall. Panelled front stepped forward from panelled platform with turned balusters. Similar balusters to ramped stair rail each side. Great seat in front, angled and railed. Richly moulded plaster aedicule behind pulpit with engaged columns, foliated capitals and heavily ornamented arch further ornamented within tympanum. Pews are pine with roll moulded tops, cambered ends and long panel backs. Pine boarded dado. Corner lobbies with 4-panel, pine doors. S wall has pine panel door to house and vestry. Walls are rusticated stucco with moulded coved cornice and window-hoods. Ceiling has a richly moulded plaster border to centre timber pierced rose and timber boarded margin.
A good example of an 1880's chapel with highly ornamented facade and fine interior plasterwork.
Other nearby listed buildings