This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5715 / 51°34'17"N
Longitude: -3.1249 / 3°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 322133
OS Northings: 186447
OS Grid: ST221864
Mapcode National: GBR J0.D8NY
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.SRBN
Entry Name: Summer House to north-east of Ruperra Castle
Listing Date: 16 July 1998
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 20145
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Secluded amongst trees approximately 200m north-east of Ruperra Castle due east of the glasshouse. Facing south across the parkland.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably part of the Edwardian improvements to the park and gardens. A summer house is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but nearer to the castle in the area that was planted out c1910 necessitating a new site for a summer house.
Ruperra Castle was built in 1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan and its design reflects his social status. During the Civil War it was described as one of the few houses fit for a king. Ruperra remained in the family, as an alternative residence for the Morgans and the Kemeys, until it was sold in 1962. During World War II when soldiers were billeted here there was a serious fire and the main house was gutted; the structure has since become progressively ruinous although remains a major South Wales country house.
Garden bulding with simple Gothic and Arts and Crafts influences. Single-storey open-fronted stone structure with overhanging stone-slate roof (partly missing at time of inspection (July 1998). 3-bay symmetrical front with two stop-chamfered wooden columns set on dwarf wall with curved-fronted coping providing garden seats. Further low walls project at right angles to flank entrance. Asymmetrical gable ends have Gothic 2-light Y-tracery windows with voussoirs. Blank rear wall.
Included for its special interest as a surviving part of the Edwardian improvements to the estate and for group value with Ruperra Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings