This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2282 / 53°13'41"N
Longitude: -3.6006 / 3°36'2"W
OS Eastings: 293247
OS Northings: 371322
OS Grid: SH932713
Mapcode National: GBR 6D.0MVL
Mapcode Global: WH65M.N4M1
Entry Name: Bronheulog
Listing Date: 22 July 1998
Last Amended: 22 July 1998
Source ID: 20159
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a prominent location on a bend in the Elwy valley approximately 1.5km NE of Llanfair Talhaiarn; accessed via a farm track leading S from the lane running E from the main road in the direction of Ll
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn (Llanfair Talhaearn)
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Seat of the Vaughans of Bronheulog, an important local gentry family from the C16 to C18; subsequently in the possession of the Edwards family of Nanhoron (Lleyn). The house is first mentioned in the mid C14 in the possession of Rhys Wynn of Melai and Vronheulog; the family adopted the surname Vaughan in the late C16 (Foulke Vaughan died in 1594). The present house appears to be a rebuilding of c1710, though possibly incorporating earlier fabric; it is likely to have been built by one of two William Vaughans, the father dying in 1707 and the son in 1763. The imposing 9-bay facade presumably originally had a dormer storey. This was probably removed during re-roofing in the later C19.
Large 2-storey gentry house of 9 bays with a central 5-bay section and advanced flanking 2-bay wings. Of rubble construction on a battered base with slate roofs, hipped to the sides; tiled ridges with terracotta finials to flanking wings. Four large gabled lateral chimneys, 2 to the rear and one to each of the flanking wings, the latter projecting; broad, tall rendered stacks. The roofs have modern skylights to front and rear. Central entrance via modern single-storey slated porch; part-glazed door within. The windows of the main section are C18 unhorned, recessed 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and simply-moulded window frames. Those to the L wing are larger, slightly recessed later C18 or early C19 12-pane sashes; those to the first floor of the R wing are similar, though those to the ground floor are uPVC replacements.
Rendered rear and sides with irregular openings. Four 12-pane sashes to the first floor with 2 further, similar windows flanking a modern door with canopy porch to the R; there is a C20 8-pane vertical stair light immediately above and to the R of this. To the L is a lower 2-storey C19 service addition placed at right-angles with the main range. This has a lean-to slated projection extruded in its inner angle with an entrance with continuous canopy porch to the R; part-glazed C20 door. To the R of this entrance is a wide, single-storey canted bay with flat roof, again early C20; this with 8-pane sashes. The lower service wing has an entrance to its outer (E) side, with 12-pane sashes to each floor at R; 6-pane C19 sash to inner (W) face on the first floor, and a C20 window below.
Adjoining the R wing to the R (E) is a low single-storey later extension of 2 phases, construction as before. To the R is a late C19 12-pane sliding sash beyond a vertical masonry break, with a contemporary 12-pane casement to the E upper gable; the remaining openings are modern.
Opposite the entrance is a fine early C18 dog-leg staircase opening out beneath an arch with moulded wooden architrave and projecting key. Flanking this, and forming a symmetrical group, are two 2-panel doors with simply-moulded architraves and raised and fielded panels. The stair has turned balusters and flat-capped square newels, with panelled sides and plain rail; it rises full height to the attic (formerly dormer floor) where it terminates in a short gallery with flat-shaped balusters. At the first floor landing is a similar arch with a further arch giving access to the upper flight, immediately to the R; this has a later boarded door. The paired arches have simple projecting imposts and keys, and plain architraves. The ground-floor windows have panelled reveals (raised and fielded panels).
Listed for its special interest as a large early C18 gentry house retaining good exterior character.
Group value with other listed items at Bronheulog.
Other nearby listed buildings