This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2186 / 53°13'6"N
Longitude: -3.6276 / 3°37'39"W
OS Eastings: 291423
OS Northings: 370292
OS Grid: SH914702
Mapcode National: GBR 6C.1790
Mapcode Global: WH65M.7CVF
Entry Name: Dovecote at Garthewin
Listing Date: 22 July 1998
Last Amended: 22 July 1998
Source ID: 20176
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located approximately 150m SW of Garthewin on a wooded rise.
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn (Llanfair Talhaearn)
Community: Llanfair Talhaiarn
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early C18 dovecote built to serve Garthewin and contemporary with its rebuilding under Dr Robert Wynne, Chancellor of St Asaph and Vicar of Gresford, c1700-1710.
Square dovecote of two-and-a-half stages. Rubble wall construction (with original lime render still visible in places) with brick interior skin; currently roofless. Brick stringcourses between the stages, the upper one with off-set dentilations between 2 header courses, the lower one plain. Sandstone slab-copings to gabled sides, with rounded sandstone kneelers. The entrance is on the E side and has a plain oak pegged frame and timber lintel. Above is an oculus with brick voussoirs and an open, square window to the gable storey, with similar pegged frame; this arrangement is repeated on the other sides.
Brick nesting boxes, 125 to each face and each with a ledge in front; the dado is plastered and the brick interior was formerly limewashed.
Listed notwithstanding its roofless condition for its special interest as a fine early C18 dovecote.
Other nearby listed buildings