This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7379 / 51°44'16"N
Longitude: -4.3072 / 4°18'25"W
OS Eastings: 240787
OS Northings: 206877
OS Grid: SN407068
Mapcode National: GBR GP.BRWV
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.9L92
Entry Name: Castle Mill
Listing Date: 28 July 1998
Last Amended: 28 July 1998
Source ID: 20192
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated on N bank of Gwendraeth Fach, some 100m E of Kidwelly Bridge, reached by lane running S from medieval town gatehouse.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1804 former corn-mill, built by Benjamin Haselwood, on site of medieval mill first mentioned in 1114. Restored as antique furniture store.
Rubble stone with red brick dressings to mill, and rendered front to former house, all under same slate roof with small end stacks, rendered to right, stone to left. Three-storey, four-window range. Mill, to left, has red brick to left corner ground and first floors only. Three six-pane upper windows irregularly spaced, two fixed 16-pane first floor windows, not aligned with attic windows, and two blocked ground floor windows, one with red-brick head. To right, broad entrance arch, apparently remodelled in C20, reaching into first floor, with red sandstone voussoirs. Recessed double-doors between small-paned sidewindows, all under oak lintel. House to right has 4-pane top window, two first floor long small-paned casement pairs and ground floor similar casement pair. Rendered end-wall and rear with casement windows. Rear of mill has three first floor windows and brick-arch to basement right, for former mill-leat.
Stone dividing wall between mill and former house. Heavy oak ceiling beams to ground floor, pine beams above. Pine roof-trusses, tie-beam and queen-post, some ties cut.
Listed as a fine early C19 industrial building.
Other nearby listed buildings