This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7467 / 51°44'48"N
Longitude: -4.2887 / 4°17'19"W
OS Eastings: 242098
OS Northings: 207810
OS Grid: SN420078
Mapcode National: GBR GP.T4ST
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.MC3B
Entry Name: Boxing Room at former Kidwelly Tinplate Works
Listing Date: 28 July 1998
Last Amended: 28 July 1998
Source ID: 20195
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated in Kidwelly Industrial Museum, some 2km NE of the town in the Gwendraeth Fach valley. Boxing Room is the sorthern half of the red brick range just within museum site.
Community: Kidwelly (Cydweli)
Locality: Cwm Gwendraeth Fach
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Industrial building of c1880, used for the storage of tin-plate after polishing and packing in the adjoining Assorting Room. The Assorting Room was built after the Box Room. Tin-plate production began on the site in 1737, the second oldest site in Britain. The works closed in 1941 and much was demolished: the surviving Assorting-Room, Box-Room, Hot-Rolling Mill and Cold-Roll Engine House date from 1880-1914. Restored 1980-4.
Red brick with slate roof. Single storey long range with three windows on W side, small-paned with cast-iron lintels. The glazing is late C20, the openings were loading doors. Arched openings at both ends, one into Assorting Room the other in whitewashed S end gable, that formerly was an internal wall with a further store-room beyond. Window to right of arch, and blocked opening above arch, partly broken into by arch.
Broad interior with 7 massive roof trusses, tie-beam and collar with queen-posts and angle struts, but principal rafters do not extend beyond collars. Brick floor.
Listed as part of the only preserved tin-plate works in Britain.
Other nearby listed buildings