This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7471 / 51°44'49"N
Longitude: -4.2885 / 4°17'18"W
OS Eastings: 242107
OS Northings: 207851
OS Grid: SN421078
Mapcode National: GBR GP.T4TS
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.MC51
Entry Name: Assorting Room at former Kidwelly Tinplate Works
Listing Date: 28 July 1998
Last Amended: 28 July 1998
Source ID: 20196
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated in Kidwelly Industrial Museum, some 2km NE of the town in the Gwendraeth Fach valley. Sorting Room is the northern half of the red brick range just within museum site.
Locality: Cwm Gwendraeth Fach
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Industrial building of c1880, used for the hand-sorting of tin-plated sheets, polishing and packing. After packing the flat cardboard boxes or tinplate containers (for export) were moved for storage in the Box Room attached to S. The Assorting Room was built after the Box Room. Tin-plate production began on the site in 1737, the second oldest site in Britain. The works closed in 1941 and much was demolished: the surviving Assorting-Room, Box-Room, Hot-Rolling Mill and Cold-Roll Engine House date from 1880-1919.
Red brick with tarred felted roof. Single storey long range with much-altered openings on W side. Original openings had yellow-brick jambs and cambered heads, the bricks rounded. Almost all the openings have been blocked or altered: at right end are 3 blocked windows with cast-iron sills, but sills apparently raised or inserted later. Elsewhere the jambs or whole frames of blocked windows are irregularly spaced down length of wall. One doorway towards right end, C20 concrete lintel. Ledged door in altered opening towards left end. Upper end wall is whitewashed with C20 sliding door. Rear had 8 windows, 3 blocked, some still with original cast-iron 9-pane glazing-bars.
Interior is whitewashed brick with long sorting bench along rear wall. Trussed steel roof of nine bays, boarding under roof cladding.
Listed as part of the only preserved tin-plate works in Britain.
Other nearby listed buildings