This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9313 / 52°55'52"N
Longitude: -3.0559 / 3°3'21"W
OS Eastings: 329119
OS Northings: 337626
OS Grid: SJ291376
Mapcode National: GBR 73.M86G
Mapcode Global: WH89J.1L23
Entry Name: Lychgate outside Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20203
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The lychgate provides the entrance through the churchyard wall on the W side of the churchyard, leading off a small paved square.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Built-Up Area: Chirk
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The lychgate was erected in 1923 to the design of E Tyrrel Green of Lampeter College to commemorate Surgeon Lt Col John D Lloyd, MBE, Knight of Grace of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.
Open timber framed superstructure on Cefn stone side walls, and stone slab roofing slates and ridge. Each side is framed, of 4 panels each with a trefoiled head, the moulded top plate extending at each end and supported by long curved braces from low steps in the side walls. Simple framing in each gable apex. Central tie beam truss, with a pair of gates below. Cross central to the roof.
Included as a well-designed lychgate, and a significant feature at the centre of the town conservation area. Of group value with the Church of St Mary.
Other nearby listed buildings