History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone

A Grade II Listed Building in Chirk, Wrexham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9357 / 52°56'8"N

Longitude: -3.0573 / 3°3'26"W

OS Eastings: 329032

OS Northings: 338108

OS Grid: SJ290381

Mapcode National: GBR 73.M1TR

Mapcode Global: WH89J.0GDT

Entry Name: Milestone

Listing Date: 29 July 1998

Last Amended: 29 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 20236

Building Class: Transport

Location: The milestone is in the hedge, close to the road and opposite a property named Hilbre on the Maes-y-waun estate at the N end of the town.

County: Wrexham

Town: Wrexham

Community: Chirk (Y Waun)

Community: Chirk

Built-Up Area: Chirk

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Chirk

History

The milestone was erected as part of the improvement of the London to Holyhead Road undertaken by Thomas Telford, engineer, from 1819 to improve communications between London and Dublin. The poor state of the road to Ireland exercised Parliament from before 1810, and a survey was carried out by Telford in 1811. Monies were granted following the setting up of a commission in 1815, but work on this section could not take place until the amalgamation of the seven existing turnpike trusts, authorised in 1819. The road was not completed until the opening of the Menai Bridge, and the construction of the 20-mile Anglesey section in 1828. Telford designed the road formation, and details of ancillary structures including tollhouses and milestones, many of which still survive despite the loss of their information plates. This present milestone is one of the few to retain their plates.

Exterior

A slightly tapered pillar of stone with a gabled top, the front facing the road with an indented cast iron plate with raised lettering reading: HOLY / HEAD / 83 / LLANGOLLEN / 6M-2F / CHIRK-B / 0M-5F

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the original milestones erected by Telford, on this important turnpike road.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.