This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9347 / 52°56'5"N
Longitude: -3.09 / 3°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 326832
OS Northings: 338038
OS Grid: SJ268380
Mapcode National: GBR 71.M5X8
Mapcode Global: WH78C.HHSJ
Entry Name: Stable Ranges
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20248
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The stables adjoin the castle to the S, forming two sides of the service courtyard
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Locality: Chirk Castle
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The stables ranges were built in 1768-1769 by Joseph Turner, surveyor of Hawarden, later Chester, for Richard Myddleton, and were partly refaced by E W Pugin, son of A W N Pugin after the latter's death in 1852.
The building is of coursed rubble stonework with a slate roof. Tall lower floor containing the stables, and a low upper floor with storage and stable boys' accommodation. They are laid out in an L-shape, the W arm linking back to the W side of the castle immediately S of the central tower. Symmetrical, of 3 bays with a 3-centred arched carriageway through the centre providing access to the internal courtyard. Expressed quoins. Three cross windows at first floor level with segmental arched heads, and crenellated parapet over. This block returns at the S end to a second major elevation overlooking the escarpment of the Ceiriog valley. Thirteen bays, the centre three slightly set out and given a crenellated parapet. On the ground floor three round arched quoined doorways. The 5-bay ranges each side have two quoined doors each with a large keyed oculus over, a high set sill band above connects the 5 cross windows, all with segmental heads and with iron paned glazing.
Groined plaster vault to the 4 bays of stabling each side, which consist of a variety of stables and pens with partly railed fronts of cast iron set on low walls, the ends with Romanesque type detail. Yellow brick herringbone flooring.
Included as a stately and well preserved example of architecturally designed stabling, an important element in the ensemble at Chirk Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings