This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.939 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -3.0264 / 3°1'34"W
OS Eastings: 331118
OS Northings: 338446
OS Grid: SJ311384
Mapcode National: GBR 74.LWY0
Mapcode Global: WH89J.HD38
Entry Name: The Forge
Listing Date: 29 July 1998
Last Amended: 29 July 1998
Source ID: 20252
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house stands above the river crossing at Pont-y-blew, and above the remains of the forge.
Community: Chirk (Y Waun)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house was possibly built for the operator of the adjacent forge, which was established in 1634 by a consortium of local gentry, including Sir Thomas Myddleton. It is believed to be the earliest water-powered forge in N Wales. The house has C17 origins, but was subsequently altered, and now has the character of the mid C19.
A long range of single storey building with attics, timber framed, the front colourwashed brick, with a slate roof. Timber framing exposed on the gable towards the road. Timber 2-light windows of the C19 within openings with segmental heads, and an open timber framed porch over a glazed door. A second C20 glazed door towards the E end. Four small gabled dormers with cut bargeboards. Central brick stack, and added stacks at both ends on the lower slopes of the roof. Lean-to at the W end.
Included as a building of vernacular character which is of special interest due to its association with the early iron processing industry in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings