This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9267 / 51°55'36"N
Longitude: -3.2433 / 3°14'35"W
OS Eastings: 314605
OS Northings: 226081
OS Grid: SO146260
Mapcode National: GBR YW.NVHL
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.QTSW
Entry Name: Cathedine Fawr farmhouse including attached kitchen and granary range
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20285
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On rising ground overlooking Llangorse Lake from E, just above the main road to Llangorse village and N of the hamlet of Cathedine.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Datestone 1699 on main house with crest of Vaughans of Tretower; kitchen and granary wing attached to N thought to be contemporary though they may incorporate or succeed earlier buildings as Map of Llangorse Lake of 1584 appears to show a farmhouse here; possible evidence of the Unit system of occupation. Vaughan Poppy attributes building to Sir Roger Vaughan on his son, Walter's, marriage. One of Walter's sons, Thomas, became Rector of Llangasty Tal-y-llyn, another, Harry, lived at Cathedine Fawr after his father's death. Comparable with nearby Scethrog House and Brynllici.
A characteristic gentry farmhouse of c1700. Plan is T shaped, with central entrance, main rooms of single depths and shallow staircase and service cross wing the same height as main roof; a single storey outshut rear left. Of painted stone with hipped Welsh slate roof and stacks with cornices; at end right, to left external and stepped, further stack to rear wing. Symmetrical 2 storey frontage has central pedimented bay incorporating a small attic window, a large cross window to first floor with cornice above and crest and datestone below; unadorned central front doorway with stone steps to replaced door; first floor has a further cross window under eaves at each side; two similar on each side to ground floor, a continuous hoodmould extends across the whole frontage. At left joined to main house by a short passage is a separate 2 storey block with steep pitched Welsh slate roof with end stack to side adjacent to main house; on the other side are steps to first floor granary which has door with hood under shallow dripstone; 2 small pane windows with shallow dripstones and stone ledge below to lake frontage. Further attached extensions.
Wide central hallway with high ceiling and fine open well wooden staircase with turned balusters in staircase bay to rear; stairs ascend from cellar to attic through 5 flights. Single depth rooms on each side though service room incorporated into staircase bay. Kitchen bay has chamfered and stopped beams to ground floor.
Listed II*as a fine gentry farmhouse dated 1699.
Group value with Barn and Byre at Cathedine Fawr.
Other nearby listed buildings