This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9256 / 51°55'32"N
Longitude: -3.275 / 3°16'29"W
OS Eastings: 312421
OS Northings: 226003
OS Grid: SO124260
Mapcode National: GBR YV.NSBT
Mapcode Global: VH6C1.6V0P
Entry Name: Two granaries at Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20312
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Standing side by side and linked by a screen wall. Forming the S side of a courtyard for Ty Mawr, reached by a farm track.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Locality: Llangasty Tal-y-llyn
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Believed to be late C18, possibly built by William Thomas, architect of Haverfordwest, who was advertising for builders in Hereford Journal 1792. Reputedly the intention was to provide an impressive entrance to Ty Mawr house with the drive routed between the two buildings, but the gap between was later walled up so the drive now skirts them. They are known as granaries; that to right has a stable on ground floor and that to left is an extension of the main barn. Ty Mawr and a house at Cathedine, now Treholford, were both owned in the late C18 by Philip Champion de Crespigny who was responsible for the incomplete remodelling of Ty Mawr farmhouse. Surviving correspondence to his agent in 1797 includes instructions 'to finish the buildings of the Mansion and other offices and outbuildings which it is my intention to do when this horrid war is put an end to' - referring to the Napoleonic Wars. By the time of the Tithe in 1841 ownership had passed to Gwynne Holford; the family also owned the nearby Buckland Estate.
The two buildings face S. That to right is a freestanding rectangular building, that to left is attached to the S bay of the barn range which in turn adjoins Ty Mawr house at right angles. Of narrow coursed stone rubble with dressed stone dressings and putlogs, and hipped stone tiled roofs. Right building main frontage had symmetrical frontage of 3 segmental arched doorways with keystones later adapted to doorway and window, left blocked. At first floor 3 segmental arched windows with keystones, one blocked. Rear elevation facing farmhouse has square headed doorway with timber lintel and boarded door up 4 steep stone steps; 3 blocked openings to right; buttressed at corners.
Left building is very shallow; it has a frontage of 3 blocked round arches at ground floor with voussoirs and continuous string at impost level; square headed doorway in right arch. On first floor were formerly 3 oculi, of which one is now blocked, one is damaged and one has had voussoirs removed; end stack right.
Larger granary to right has ground floor stable, lime plastered interior, some manger fittings, cobbled floor; granary above supported by timber framework with chamfered wooden posts; 2 main roof trusses of tie beam, collar and struts. Smaller granary to left has 3 trusses of collar and tie; part of first floor still in situ.
Listed II* for their special interest as C18 architect-designed decorative farm buildings built specifically to provide a picturesque setting for the farmhouse.
Group value with the farmhouse, barn and stables.
Other nearby listed buildings