This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9196 / 51°55'10"N
Longitude: -3.2469 / 3°14'48"W
OS Eastings: 314339
OS Northings: 225299
OS Grid: SO143252
Mapcode National: GBR YW.P76V
Mapcode Global: VH6C7.N0VR
Entry Name: Barn and stable range N of Lower Cathedine farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 August 1998
Last Amended: 21 August 1998
Source ID: 20317
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Forming the N and W sides of the original farmyard at Cathedine, the house and farm range forming E and S sides, with main barn end on to road.
Community: Llangors (Llan-gors)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Datestone of 1777 and initials TV relate to the Vaughan family of Tretower, former owners of nearby Cathedine Fawr. Vaughan Poppy attributes rebuilding programme involving house, barn and stable range to Thomas Vaughan; stable range reportedly re-roofed after fire. Paired threshing floors are relatively rare and denote the prosperity of the farm and area.
L-shaped range comprising main barn and probable stable range at right angles sharing the same ridge line. Both buildings of stone rubble part limewashed with Welsh slate roofs. Barn of 8 bays, roof hipped at downhill end, single tier of ventilation slits, 2 to gable end, with triangular hole to apex; 2 pairs of high boarded double doors with shallow porches with gabled roofs, heavy timber lintels and weatherboarding to N resting on side piers; low stone lean-to extensions with ventilation slits on both sides. Attached range with datestone 1777 has a blocked carriage arch and altered door on side facing house; pitching door in gable end. Opposite to N is a small stone building now derelict possibly a former house.
Barn has pegged trusses of collar and tie beam, stone threshing floors. Stable range has loose boxes with mangers, pitching gaps from hayloft above, some boarded partitions, stone floor.
Listed as a dated C18 farm building and for its group value within the especially good farm group at Lower Cathedine.
Other nearby listed buildings