This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.869 / 51°52'8"N
Longitude: -3.21 / 3°12'35"W
OS Eastings: 316786
OS Northings: 219626
OS Grid: SO167196
Mapcode National: GBR YX.SJDB
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.99V2
Entry Name: Aberhoyw
Listing Date: 19 July 1963
Last Amended: 28 August 1998
Source ID: 20364
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 1.3km ENE of Llangynidr church on S side of a minor road through Cyffredyn.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A large late C16 house consisting of a hall with outside cross passage in attached byre, to which a cross-wing with two heated parlours was added early C17. A rear wing was added mid C17 behind the hall. In 1726 the byre was converted to a kitchen by the Price family whose coat of arms survives above the front doorway. The house was owned by the Glanusk Estate c1830-1984 and was damaged by fire in the 1960s, after which the cross-wing was demolished, the hall was partly rebuilt and the roof was renewed.
Large two storey and attics house consisting of a main range with hall to L and kitchen to R, behind which are a rear wing to L and 1-storey lean-to to R. Of rubble sandstone painted cream and asbestos-slate roof. Original stone stack L of centre, smaller C18 stack to R; gable end of rear wing has original C17 stack with 2 diagonally set shafts. Three-window front is rendered to L with renewed sash windows where rebuilt after the fire. To R are small-pane sash windows under segmental heads, while offset to R above doorway is a similar sash window under a timber lintel. The doorway has been narrowed and has a timber lintel and a boarded door. Above it is a fine stone tablet with a wreath surrounding a shield bearing the Price family coat of arms in relief and engraved with the date 1726. The L gable end is a modern rebuild. The R gable end has a small lately-renewed casement in an earlier attic opening, and a half-lit boarded door to R. The rear wing has, in its L side wall, two 2-light and one 3-light wooden casements. In the R side wall the openings are renewed. In the gable end are 2 small attic openings, now glazed but with original diamond mullions.
The hall retains its original gable end entry, while the kitchen retains evidence of its former cross-passage. In the hall is a fireplace with chamfered surround, to L of which is a semi-circular stone stair blocked mid C17 when the rear wing was built, but exposed after the fire in the 1960s. The kitchen is lower than the hall and has a joist-beam ceiling. The rear wing has a full-height stairway to attic, consisting of short flights of straight steps, the treads consisting of big oak blocks, some of which are renewed, the others charred. Beneath the stairs in the rear wing is the blocked rear door of the former cross-passage, and stairs to cellar. The doorways have a combination of broach and stepped run-out stops.
A large and important sub-medieval house which, notwithstanding fire damage, retains much of its early plan form and high-quality detail.
Other nearby listed buildings