This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.872 / 51°52'19"N
Longitude: -3.2245 / 3°13'28"W
OS Eastings: 315793
OS Northings: 219976
OS Grid: SO157199
Mapcode National: GBR YX.S6SF
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.266S
Entry Name: Aberyail Bridge (Canal Bridge No 130)
Listing Date: 28 August 1998
Last Amended: 28 August 1998
Source ID: 20367
Building Class: Transport
Location: E of Lower Llangynidr and W of Aberyail Farm, accessible by public footpath and on towpath.
Built-Up Area: Llangynidr
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The first section, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangynidr, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with the upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal at Llangynidr in 1933. Restoration of the canal began in 1964.
Hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone, with segmental arch and low parapet. The arch has thin voussoirs and keystones. The abutments curve outwards on both sides and the parapet has square end piers. On S side is a cast iron plaque with the bridge number cast in relief. On E side of deck is lozenge-shaped cast iron plaque on a post, erected by GWR late C19 and giving weight restrictions for vehicles.
Listed for its special interest as an original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings