This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8705 / 51°52'13"N
Longitude: -3.2546 / 3°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 313716
OS Northings: 219843
OS Grid: SO137198
Mapcode National: GBR YV.SCBP
Mapcode Global: VH6CF.J7RY
Entry Name: Tofs Lock Bridge (Canal Bridge No 135)
Listing Date: 28 August 1998
Last Amended: 28 August 1998
Source ID: 20373
Building Class: Transport
Location: On S side of B4558 and accessible only by towpath.
Locality: Cwm Crawnon
Built-Up Area: Llangynidr
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley with the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. The first section, between Gilwern and Talybont and including Llangynidr, was cut between 1797 and 1799, with the upper section between Talybont and Brecon opened in 1800, both sections engineered by Thomas Dadford. The lower section between Gilwern and Pontymoile was completed in 1812 and was engineered by William Crosley. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny and the Monmouthshire Canals merged to become the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, which was later incorporated into the Great Western Railway. The last toll was taken on the canal at Llangynidr in 1933. Restoration of the canal began in 1964.
Hump-backed bridge of rubble sandstone, with round arch and low parapet. The arch has keystone on W side (replaced to E). The abutments curve outwards on both sides and the parapet has square end piers.
Listed for its special interest as an original Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings