This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8692 / 51°52'9"N
Longitude: -3.2014 / 3°12'4"W
OS Eastings: 317380
OS Northings: 219644
OS Grid: SO173196
Mapcode National: GBR YY.SDJM
Mapcode Global: VH6CG.G8FW
Entry Name: Dyfnant
Listing Date: 28 August 1998
Last Amended: 28 August 1998
Source ID: 20376
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On N side of Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal approximately 1.9km E of Llangynidr church.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Late C18 stable with added cart shed, of which a tie beam has a rough inscription which possibly reads 1794. It might be the only surviving building of a farm cleared to cut the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal 1797-99. Its location on the canal towpath may signify use of the building in the conveyance of crops to nearby farms. The building became part of the Glanusk Estate in the C19. Used as a cow shed in recent times.
Stable and cart shed of rubble sandstone with stone tile roof. A butt joint separates the 2 units. Stable to S has gable end to towpath and faces E. It has a doorway to L and opening to R under segmental heads. Cart shed to R has 2 wide doorways with flattened elliptical arches and projecting keystones, and 2 openings above with segmental heads. Pitching eye in L gable end. Stone steps against R gable end lead to loft doorway, above which is an opening similar to front with sill and wooden louvres.
Both units have lofts carried on cross-beams, and have roofs with tie beams and collar beams. The dividing wall has a pitching eye similar to S gable end.
A fine example of a Breconshire farm building retaining its original form and detail, and an important element in the character of the canal side.
Other nearby listed buildings